« Back to Search
On The Lookout: Use Of Debriefing With Clerkship Students To Aid In Wellness And Resiliency
Objective/Background: The Obstetrics and Gynecology rotation may expose students to their first experiences with serious medical conditions and traumatic events. These events shape students’ perspectives, and if left unaddressed, could potentially contribute to the development of burnout over time. Debriefing serves as a tool to allow students to discuss shared experiences and build resiliency, especially with topics often considered routine amongst practicing physicians.
• The workshop will begin with large group discussion of clinical issues that place students at risk for developing emotional fatigue (10 min).
• Workshop facilitators will then introduce debriefing concepts and tools. Facilitators will model the method of debriefing employed at their institution, and shared experiences and development of coping skills will be discussed by participants (20 min).
• Participants will be given examples of clinical scenarios that may require debriefing, divide into small groups, and will practice the debriefing model using the tools (20 min).
• Participants will share their experiences with each scenario as a large group (10 min).
• Finally, the group will brainstorm, discussing innovative ways to integrate debriefing into their clerkships (15 min).
Interactive Component: Participants will be given clinical scenarios that allow them to practice debriefing from the facilitator and student perspectives.
Take Home Product: Participants will be provided a toolkit for implementing debriefing at their home institutions. It will include a detailed description of common methods of debriefing, a guide for implementation in the clerkship, and literary resources. Group brainstorming ideas will also be documented and shared.
Team-Based Learning, Problem-Based Learning, Independent Study, Assessment, UME, GME, Practice-Based Learning & Improvement, Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Professionalism, Residency Coordinator, Residency Director, Osteopathic Faculty, Clerkship Coordinator, Clerkship Director, Faculty, Resident, 2020, Faculty Development Seminar,