« Back to Search
Creating Gender Inclusivity: A Primer On Transgender And Gender Non-Binary Health Care
Workshop Text: Care of transgender and gender non-binary patients affects all medical specialties, but most physicians, medical students and clinic staff do not have specific training in gender inclusive healthcare.
Through games and interactive discussion, participants will learn context and skills helpful in care of a gender diverse population. These exercises are an excerpt of a longer, three part series, the outline of which will be provided to participants.
• Introduction: Why is this important? Brief presentation on trans health care disparities (5 mins)
• Interactive Group Activity: Is this the right word? Brainstorming and then defining terminology related to gender (10 mins)
• Breakout Activity: Celebrity game! “Players” vs “Monitors” – have your team guess the celebrity you are describing using only gender neutral pronouns. If a monitor catches you using a gendered pronoun, your turn is over. (15 mins)
• Debrief (5mins)
• Breakout activity: using “1-2-4-all,” groups evaluate clinical scenarios on each table (15 mins)
• Interactive Group Activity: How can I make my clinic more inclusive? Discuss elements of a gender inclusive clinic. (20 mins)
• Questions (5 mins)
Take home products:
• Syllabus for three part series
• Pre and post-test evaluation for series
• Annotated resource list
Faculty Development Seminar, 2020, Faculty, Patient Care, Professionalism, Systems-Based Practice & Improvement, Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Practice-Based Learning & Improvement, GME, UME, Advocacy, Sexuality,