« Back to Search
Powering Your Journey: Is Life in Educational Leadership in Your Plans?
What does the journey look like from a faculty position in OB-Gyn to serving as a leader in undergraduate medical education? This workshop provides participants the opportunity to
• dialogue with people who have made the jump to the Dean’s Office
• become familiar with road-tested tools and resources to enhance leadership skills
• create a SMART goal that will further their leadership journey. Workshop Agenda:
The Pathway: Each presenter recounts their path from junior faculty to their current position, highlighting pivotal experiences that led to growth, including the APGO Scholars and Leaders Program, followed by table discussions of participants’ pivotal experiences in leadership thus far.
The Growth: Presenters will share details of leadership learning opportunities and resources that have been crucial to their development and success, followed by individual reflection/table discussion time for participants to identify a single area for further development.
The Plan: After a brief review of the SMART goal construct, participants will create a single SMART goal for their own leadership skill development that would result in moving them deliberately closer to their chosen target. The workshop will conclude with an open Q&A. Interactive Component:
• Share stories of pivotal experiences on their leadership journeys thus far
• Reflect on what skill they need to be ready for the next leadership opportunity
• Create a SMART goal to close the gap in their capabilities.
Take Home Product:
Participants will receive a list of high-yield leadership development resources and develop a SMART goal relevant to their personal leadership aspirations.
Faculty Development Seminar, 2021, Faculty, Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Practice-Based Learning & Improvement, UME,